Point San Luis Lighthouse
In 1867 President Andrew Johnson issued an executive order directing the Department of the Interior “to take the necessary steps to cause the reservation for Light House purposes of an area of land at Point San Luis.” The first pier at Port San Luis was built the next year. Congressman Romaldo Pacheco of San Luis Obispo introduced a bill in 1877 to build a lighthouse at Point San Luis. Construction would not commence until 1889. By 1890 whaling vessels, cargo ships, tankers and fishing boats were all guided around the treacherous point into the safe harbor.
Until 1933 the Lighthouse projected a beam of light 20 miles out to sea from one kerosene lamp set high in its tower, by collecting all the lamp’s light with over 100 Lenses made by French craftsman.
Today you can travel back in time in our classic trolley to the historic Light Station Park. Trolley tours are every Saturday at 12pm, 1pm and 2pm. Fares include the cost of docent led tours in the Lighthouse & Head Keepers Quarters.
Stewardship Travel Options:
*Conservation/Heritage Stewardship Donation Opportunity
Features & Amenities
- Kid Friendly
- State Parks & Outdoor Activities
- Stewardship Donation Opportunities
- Stewardship Travel Activities